Sunday, May 17, 2009

Commitment

I've been reading about the possible causes of breast cancer and thinking about how I'm going to keep from getting it again once I'm fixed this time.

POSSIBLE CAUSES:
*Being overweight...more likely to get breast cancer...
*Not exercising....more likely to get breast cancer...
*Drinking alcohol...more likely to get breast cancer...
*Stress--?? Who knows.

THE PLAN:
*Try to exercise at least 4 hours per week--this lowers breast cancer risk a lot (58%). I need to walk at least 30 minutes+ each day. PERIOD. (And to the rest of you, take heed)
*Drop the vino unless it's a special occasion--farewell K-J Chardonnay. For those of you still partaking, the books say to be sure to take a multivitamin and especially to make sure you're getting enough folic acid.
*Find a way to eat less fat--one books recommends a diet of 20% fat or less, little red meat, etc., etc. So, Lisa--it's time to get your eating as well as your butt in shape.

I'm going to try, people.

2 comments:

  1. I may be beating Kayleigh to a point she could easily score, but on the diet point -- a diet that includes far less meat is not only healthier, but more environmentally sustainable. Treating meat as a "feast food," as it has been forever until the last 100 years or so, is healthy and puts less stress on our incredibly stressed agriculture system (agrobusiness writ large, i.e. Smithfield Farms, also contributed to causing swine flu, incidentally). Mark Bittman, who I want to be when I grow up, lost 35 lbs in 3 months by adhering to a normal person's exercise program and by "being vegan" until 6PM every day, as in eating lots of whole grains, fruit and vegetables until dinner time and then eating pretty much what he wants. Not too shabby. Here's a link: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/2/27/vegan-before-dinnertime/

    So you could lose weight and have some Ottaviani's, too! And also I read something recently that the relationship between wine consumption and increased risk of cancer is by no means settled, since there are still health benefits to drinking red wine especially. So maybe take up the odd glass of Pinot Noir with Dad? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll exercise with you! Also, yeah, I agree with matt-- I'm ignoring the whole wine/cancer thing for now, as it seems to be a fairly small increase and as of yet not proven. Like eggs-- parts are good, parts are bad... eh.

    ReplyDelete